Sunday, August 26, 2012

Our First Week of School

Last week was our official "First Week of School." (We had done some practice days the week before to make sure the set up would work.)
 We used our newly set up school room, complete with personal desks.  Underneath the desks are file boxes which hold most of their school books and notebooks.

 I surprised the girls with "Harajuku Mini" folders.  Inside is a weekly check list for each subject.  I want to keep track of how often I have them use flash cards, worksheets, activities, etc. to review concepts.
 Our school days start with calendar time.  I could not find a worksheet that I liked so I ended up making my own, a big accomplishment for me.
Along with writing out the date and keeping tally of how many day's of school there have been we are also focusing on time.  Some days I have them write the current time, other days I ask them to write an hour from now or so many minutes from now. Since all our clocks are digital, working with an analog clock is good for them.
 Besides calendar time our routine is similar to last year, a big plus this year is that our All About Spelling tiles fit perfectly on the new desks, so both girls can have them out at the same time.   That make transition time much smoother.
 We will be seeing lots of Cousin Toby and Cousin Odin again this year. They will join us as Knuffle bunny travels across the USA.

This year has started out great and I look forward to the weeks to come.

No comments: