Thursday, January 7, 2016

Whatchadoin? Homeschooling while in school.

I love learning.  While I never really liked "school" I enjoyed almost all of my classes, even ones I didn't do well in.  So I was giddy with excitement when I returned to college last fall.


Now that my first semester is over and grades are posted, am I still excited?  Yes!  Going to school has meant rearranging our lives a bit.  Even though my classes are online they still have deadlines to meet and tasks to accomplish.  Finding time to study as well as do assignments was a bigger struggle than I expected.

 One decision I made when I signed up for college was to home-school only four days a week.  This meant longer days, covering all subjects every day. It also meant I had a free day for my school.  This has been a huge help but trying to cram a weeks work into one day was a bigger feat than I expected.  I kept my free day but also added in a few evening each week to help stay on top of things.  

I am very grateful for a husband who is supportive of both my school and the girls home-school. He has had to play taxi driver for the girls while I work on school.  And has taken a more active role around the house, getting dinners made and picking up groceries on his way home from work.


 School is not exactly what I expected, and it is definitely not easy, but I'm enjoying learning still. One of the main things I am learning is how to be a student. 


No comments: