Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Curriculum Review: Social Studies

Social Sciences can be hard to pin down. They include everything from history to geography to civics to cultural studies. 

Like science, in grade school I wanted a class that would be fun, and one which wouldn’t take a lot of time.  I also didn’t have any extra funds in the budget. So I came up with my own things.

Knuffle Bunny’s adventures was my first attempt and I must admit I am super proud of how it turned out. In first grade we studied one continent each month, checking out books from the library and using a children’s atlas. About once a week we would write a letter from Knuffle Bunny as if he was visiting that area. Merry would draw a picture of something we had read about to go with he simple message. Sometimes she picked a landmark, other times a cultural celebration or a common activity.

Second grade we continued to focus on geography and culture, this time with Knuffle Bunny traveling the USA. We would spend one day learning about a state and the next writing and drawing.

Third grade was another curriculum hobbled together by me.  We used the American Girls books to learn about US History. In addition to the story books, I had also picked up many of the extras throughout the years at second hand stores mostly. We had  cook books, craft books, and even paper dolls to go with the studies. And I found a website that offered free printables for American Girl lap books. (https://www.freehomeschooldeals.com/free-american-girl-lapbook-templates/).

Third grade was also the year we joined a co-op so Merry had to double up on history. It didn’t go well. The co-op used “Story of the World” which may have been fine except they were using book 4, which was made for older elementary. Instead of using the entire book, Merry and I only read the one lesson from each week that would be being discussed. And because I found the text uninspiring I sometimes just summarize.

Needless to say, I did not try “Story of the World” again. In fact for fourth grade I was back to trying my own thing.  That year Charry was studying Oregon History using a workbook by Georgina Slinger. So Merry studied with her sister and made lap books to go with the different units, i.e. one for explorers, one for plants, one for counties, etc.

Then in fifth grade I wanted a curriculum that I could use with both girls and I wanted to start putting greater focus on history. That was when I discovered Notgrass. The text books were easy to read aloud. There were workbooks designed for younger kids as well as older. It focused on geography and culture as well as dates and documents. It checked all the boxes. So they did American History together.

Because of the success with Notgrass, in sixth grade we continued with the curriculum, and with doing the subject as a group. That year we used the Civics course. An unexpected benefit was learning about different holidays, like Veteran’s Day and Mother’s Day. Finding out not only what they celebrated but how they became holidays.

Seventh grade Merry was once again on her own, but since Charry was using the Notgrass high school world history, we decided to use the middle school world history. As a teacher I enjoyed the books better when I was only using one level but it still worked well for Merry.

Eighth grade we went with local history again, using the same Oregon History workbook that her sister had used. Honestly I haven’t found a more complete Oregon History curriculum, or any other Oregon History curriculum for that matter. It won by default of existing.

Then came high school, this was where I really wanted to make sure her education was well rounded and covered more than just names and dates.

Last year, ninth grade, we opted for North Star Geography rather than history. The reasons were twofold. One, I feel that having a good knowledge of geography makes history easier to follow. Two, this allowed me to once again combine Charry and Merry. For Charry’s final year of homeschooling it was nice to have them studying some of the same subjects and be able to work together on projects. The primary reason for choosing North Star was the student project that went with it. Over the course of the year they each made their own atlas, with maps they had filled in themselves. 

This year we will be back to using Notgrass. Merry will be doing American History. The curriculum is designed to also be used for literature and Bible classes but we are limiting it to the history aspect.

So long story short, it turned out I prefer simple one year curriculums rather than the popular 3-4 year rotational options. I don’t like using formal text books with younger elementary. And I like curriculum with a broad age range, so one text book but two different workbooks appeals to me. Even though I never found a “perfect” fit for social studies, I have been very pleased with each of the various things we have tried, except for “Story of the World” which was just a bad fit for us.

1 comment:

Notgrass History said...

Thank you for sharing your experience! We are glad that Notgrass History has been a blessing for you.