Saturday, September 24, 2011

American Girl History: Felicity

So this year I am doing something I have wanted to do since I was probably 7 when I read my first American Girl book.  We are studying history using the American Girl books. Back when I was a girl there were only three American Girls, Kirsten, Samantha, and Molly.  Now there are 12 plus at least half a dozen "American Girl of Todays"  As a homeschool mom of an avid reader the series is a dream come true.  Each of the historic characters has a set of six books which cover about two years of history.  And each books ends with a "Peak into the Past" which takes a deeper look at some of the history mentioned in the story.  It was a simple matter of picking which aspects of life during that time I wanted to focus on and googling for more information.    
 First she read the book:
Then she showed what she learned:
Her final project was wonderful.  I am very proud of her.  


 I use to scoff when I looked at templates for lap books and they were just fancy ways to fold paper.  Now that I've tried make a lap book I see the value of a bunch of fancy ways to fold paper.  A few of Charry's lessons turned our to just be written reports
 We ended the three week unit by making a colonial style dress for Charry's doll.
 By "we" I of course mean my mom, although I helped.
 Charry did some sewing on her own.  She made a pin cushion as a thank you to grandma.
All in all I consider this unit a success.  We had fun.  Charry learned who the patriots and loyalists were.  Her doll got a new outfit.  And I am excited to start studying Josefine and 1824 on Monday.

1 comment:

Mrs David W said...

I love this! Both fun and functional. Plus the dress is adorable. Way to go homeschooler!