Thursday, August 13, 2015

School, Here We Come!!!!

I don't know about you but I am excited to be starting school soon, in fact we have already started a few subjects.  So what are we doing this year?

Charry, 7th Grade

Math: Life of Fred Pre-algebra; She completed the first of Fred's three pre-algebra books last year and is excited to continue to read about that quirky math professor from Kitten's University.

Spelling: All About Spelling; I'm hoping we can power our way through two levels this year.  It is my least favorite subject so I have trouble sticking to my schedule.

Latin: Latin Alive Book 1; This is by far my favorite subject and I'm excited for this curriculum.  We did a preview of the first unit at the end of last year and she seems to really enjoy it too.

Science: Apologia's Exploring Creation with General Science; This is the subject we have already started.  Charry is enjoying the experiments and handling the new requirements well.  It was important to me to have an actual middle school level text book.  I want to make sure she is ready for high school in two short years.

History: Oregon History; We will be using a workbook I found on Amazon by Georgia Pennington Sligar.  I'm also hoping to include various projects though out the year.  State history is generally covered in fourth grade so I am a little behind.

Writing: Cover Story; I haven't actually ordered this yet.  This is the subject I let my daughter pick.  We looked online as well as in stores at different options and she is adamant that this is the one she wants to do.  Charry is excited to design her very own magazine.  And she has been looking at steampunk all summer to prepare. 

Dailies: Along with two English related Dailies from Evan-Moor (Reading Comprehension and Language Review) she is using a Math Daily Warm-up workbook from Teachers Created Resources.  Now that she is out of elementary school it was harder to find general practice at her level.

Merry, 4th Grade

Math: Life of Fred Intermediate Series; that's right she is out of the elementary books and on to bigger things!  We love Fred so she's excited to start her new books.

Spelling: All About Spelling; Merry spells like I do, and that's not a good thing.  All about Spelling seems to help a little.  It is also helping me to see what she can do if she takes the time to slow down andd think about things.

Latin: Latin for Children book A; this is a repeat of what we did last year.  I'm hoping the review will help build confidence in what she knows.

Science: Apologia's Exploring Creation with Astronomy; I let her pick which area of science she wanted to study and I was surprised by what she picked!  She will also be doing the companion notebook.  This is the first year she is doing a different science than her sister so it will be different.

History: She will be studying Oregon history along with her sister but instead of a workbook she will be creating a lapbook that goes along with each unit.

Writing: Writing Strands level 3; This is the subject she has already started.  After each unit the author suggests that student take a break from writing to read so I found some of my favorite classics, like Harriet the Spy, the Princess and the Goblin, and Matilda, so she can do some guided reading this year.

Dailies: Merry has four of the Evan Moor Dailies that she will be using this year, Math, Reading Comprehension, Language Review, and Handwriting.  She is excited to start cursive this year!


So there you have it, our year is going to be a full one! 

No comments: