Saturday, November 12, 2011

American Girl History; Kirsten 1854

Kirsten was my favorite American Girl when I was growing up.  I loved looking through the catalog at her painted wooden furniture and even wore my hair in braids like hers.   So it is not a big surprise that Charry's Kirsten unit was a huge success!  The books aloud us to explore so many different aspects of immigration, prairie life and travel in 1854.

We started by talking about Sweden and how hard immigration was.  Charry decorated an envelope like a trunk and then had to "pack" what she would want to bring.  Then I reminded her the entire family had to share the trunk, she made more clothes.  Then I reminded her they had to bring everything, pots, silverware, blankets, etc.   She made dishes and blankets, and she was able to see the "trunk" get fuller and fuller.
We talked about the type of things that families found important enough to bring, traditions and keep sakes.  Then we used an idea from "The American Girls Club Handbook" and made our own painted wooden spoon.

Next we talked about language and communication.  Charry was able to copy a poem (that I found here) in Swedish and then in English.  She had fun making her letters "fancy."


We talked about ways to communicate with someone you couldn't talk to.  Charry made a picture book of one page picture reports on what happened in each book.

Her favorite part was using the stickers.


Next we talked about on of my favorite parts of the Kirsten books, Saint Lucia Day.  And I had Charry make a wreath for her doll's head.


Charry did a short report on bees and how they make honey.


and made "how news travels" flash card


But I think her favorite part was playing with my Kirsten paper dolls.  I did have to laugh when I saw the very first thing she did with them was sort the outfits by book.  This is especially funny to me because that is what I use to do also.


And so our Kirsten unit has come to an end.  It took us about three weeks to read the books and complete all the different activities, so do not attempt in one day (or even one week.)




So here is the finished project:
Front Cover: Kirsten and her log Cabin
Back Cover: MAp of the U.S. with Kirsten's journey marked in red

Middle: All Charry's hard work 





No comments: