Friday, March 16, 2012

Journal Entry 7


In my life this week…

This has been a good week for me, at least I think so.  Daylight savings has messed a bit with my sleep but that's to be expected.  I'm starting to get caught up on house work which is a good thing.
In our homeschool this week…

We've managed to stay on target this week, amazingly.  Charry finished up her space unit (hope to have blog post done next week).  She also finished her "Samantha" unit (1904) and is starting "Rebecca" (1914).


Merry learned where hobbits live and what a real Tasmanian Devil  looks like.  
Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

There are so many different games and tricks for teaching your kids.  When one sound interesting try it.  If it works keep doing it, if it doesn't try something new.

I am loving the "Life of Fred" series, besides being a text book for my kids it has been idea books for me.  One thing the author talks about doing with his own kids is "Questions," it's a game where you ask your kids questions.  The only catch is in order to learn anything with this game someone (i.e. you) has to know the correct answer.  So we've been playing a modified math only version.  


My younger daughter doubles numbers, adds, and subtracts.  My older daughter multiplies, divides, and finds squares.  Sometimes they do just one equation other times they recite a number family.  It has made car rides interesting.



Things I’m working on…
Social networking.  I've been a consultant with Close to my Heart for five years or so and now they are giving us websites to help marketing.  I am so nervous about sharing info and linking sites but I do like making money (and the products are fabulous).  caytw.ctmh.com is my page if you're interested.  
I’m reading…

School books, lots of school books.  I finished reading "Life of Fred" up to "Farming," and I am reading through the American Girl "Rebecca" books.  Back when I read the series there were only three American Girls so I have to catch up a bit to have teaching ideas for Charry.
I’m cooking…

I did make pie for pi day.  Well I stuck premade frozen chicken pot pies in the oven.  I didn't use the microwave opion so I think it still counts as cooking.
I’m grateful for…

My kids, my husband, my life.  It has been a long couple of years and I am grateful to God for keeping us in His arms.
I’m praying for…

My parents.  Always and lots, I love you both very much.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

Merry made me move where I was sitting so there wouldn't be "stuff in the back ground.  She wanted to add her own "stuff."  I especially like to gift.
I think I look frumpy but it was taken and edited  (on the i-pod) by my six year old and that makes it my favorite picture of the week.


2 comments:

Becky@CharlieBrown said...

I just ordered "Life of Fred"!
*waiting anxiously next to the door*

I am excited for some review and have high hopes that my boys will get excited about Math again. It's always good to hear positive things about something you've just spent a bunch of money on. :)

Laurie said...

I love your picture! How sweet that your daughter edited it like that! It is good see moms shown on blogs- sometimes they remind me of the cartoon shows where you always see the kids but never the parents.