Saturday, January 25, 2014

"Whatchadoin?" #10, States and Capitals

I have always thought that having a good basic understanding of geography was a good thing.  Knowing which states were where and how the climate was different in those areas is helpful for understanding how people are.

But teaching it has proven to be a struggle.  We have used "Knuffle Bunny" for the last few years.  Allowing us to imagine traveling all over but I'm finding very little has stuck.  They know climates are different in different places but they don't remember which places are where.

So this year I am taking a more direct, memorization approach.  I have a set of State facts flash cards and matching maps from the dollar section at Target.  Instead of introducing all 50 states at once, we add 2 new states a week.  Also instead of learning any one section, I make sure the states are spread out.

So far this approach is working well.  The girls are learning where states are as well as their capitals.  Once we have gone through all the states I'm thinking of adding states trees or birds.  
Using the map and flash cards makes reviewing information pretty easy.  I keep the flash cards with me and quiz them on capitals throughout the day.  The maps get used as a play mat for dolls and Legos to travel to the states they know.

We are only half way through the states but already I am seeing greater retention than last year. 

No comments: