Sunday, October 23, 2011

Fashionista Friday

OK I know it is Sunday not friday but it has been a long weekend and this post was started Friday.  Besides "Fashionista Sunday" doesn't have the same nice ring to it.  That being said on to the blog.

When I was growing up there was a group of girls from church that were the "homeschoolers."  They were sweet, talkative, and wore the cutest jumpers.  It was the '90s when you could find buttons to coordinate with just about any fabric and they did.

As I grew up with, although not one of, the group I learned most didn't love the outfits.  They joked about it being "homeschool uniforms."  And so when I decided to homeschool I also decided to avoid the stereotypical homeschool garb for my kids.

 Charry feels otherwise.




Todays fashion is very much a homeschool look.  From the fishing themed jumper to the t-shirt underneath it.  And as such is not something I would have picked out for her.


But it is something she would pick out for herself.  In fact she is very proud of the ensemble which she put together while at a second hand store with her grandma.  While her sister just tried to find things that fit , Charry found the jumper then went through shirts to find one that was a good color for underneath.  She then tried it out with a couple of different sweaters until she found one with "short sleeves but still covered the t-shirt sleeves."  At the end of the day she was very proud of her bargain finds and of how cute she looks, and so am I.


I don't think I need to worry about her looking "too homeschooled," at least not for a while.  When she's worn the outfit out everyone tells her how cute she is.  Most of her friends are reading the Laura Wilder  books and think Charry's "prairie" look is awesome.  Besides anything anyone wore when I was growing up is probably "retro" now and "retro" is cool.

No comments: